~♥~ About Me: DawnTreader ~♥~ Location: Sweden. ~♥~ My main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands ~♥~

~♥~Looking for more info of the kind you usually find in the sidebar? Go to the bottom of the page! ~♥~



Follow Me!

Follow Me!
Click on the image

Saturday 11 September 2010

First Autumn Colours

DSCN8386-1

DSCN8382-1

One of the signs of autumn is the Berberis bushes changing. What fascinates me is the variation in colour. On some branches the berries have already turned red. On other branches the leaves have turned red but the berries are still yellow. Many branches are still green.

“The berries are edible, and rich in vitamin C, though with a very sharp flavour; the thorny shrubs make harvesting them difficult, so in most places they are not widely consumed. They are an important food for many small birds.” (So do birds not have problems with the thorns?)

Reading the Wikipedia article I was sort of amused by the comment that Berberis is a popular garden bush not only because of its colours, but also valued as crime prevention: “being very dense, viciously spiny shrubs, they make very effective barriers impenetrable to burglars. For this reason they are often planted below potentially vulnerable windows, and used as hedges and other barriers”. (True I suppose but goes a bit beyond the “usual” kind of facts one expects to find.)

We had a hedge of these bushes at one the houses we lived in when I grew up.

2 comments:

MadSnapper said...

the bush is truly gorgeoug. never seen or heard of one and I sure love it. that first photo of the berries is really cool, Monica. love the colors. and this is a bush like Brer Rabbit would say to the big bad wolf, don't throw me in that bush. love the post

Ginny Hartzler said...

You are becoming a better and better photographer. Did you get a new camera? I learned something new today! But I cannot find any thorns! The burgler thing is cool! I guess the birds little sharp beaks can navigate around the prickles.

Followers

Awards given to DawnTreader's Picture Book



Over-the-Top Award from NPT @ The Nature..., 3 November 2009.
More info at The Island of the Voices.




'Blog of the Week' from Brett @ 365 to 42, 9 November 2009.


From Scriptor Senex @ Rambles From My Chair, 22 November 2009

About Me - DawnTreader

My photo
Västergötland, Sweden
PLEASE NOTE that this blog is no longer being updated, and comments are therefore closed.

Click on the picture to jump over to my "Island of the Voices" blog!

DawnTreader's Picture Book

For this blog, I have chosen a template that allows me to show pictures as big as possible . Some of the things you usually find in the sidebar, you will find here at the bottom of the page instead - Blog Archive, Followers etc.







My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 4600.
For basic editing of most photos and collages I use Picasa 3.
Sometimes I also experiment with some more "artistic" effects in Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.


YOU WILL ALSO FIND ME HERE:

The Island of the Voices ~♥~ Wordly Efforts ~♥~ Through My Spectrespecs ~♥~ Soaring Through The World

Powered by Blogger.