~♥~ About Me: DawnTreader ~♥~ Location: Sweden. ~♥~ My main blog: Beyond the Lone Islands ~♥~

~♥~Looking for more info of the kind you usually find in the sidebar? Go to the bottom of the page! ~♥~



Follow Me!

Follow Me!
Click on the image

Wednesday 26 May 2010

Forget-Me-Not

DSCN6181-1

Forget-me-not - Myosotis scorpioides – Förgätmigej

I found these growing beside the river. I love it when I find wild flowers growing “in town”!

The Forget-Me-Not has the same name in several languages (Swedish included). 
There are a number of legends about the origin of the name:

In a German legend, God named all the plants when a tiny unnamed one cried out, "Forget-me-not, O Lord!" God replied, "That shall be your name."  In a similar legend, the little flower cried out, "Forget-me-not!" as Adam and Eve left the Garden of Eden.

Another legend says that the Christ Child was sitting on Mary's lap one day and said that he wished that future generations could see her eyes. He touched her eyes and then waved his hand over the ground and blue forget-me-nots appeared.

One legend has it that in medieval times, a knight and his lady were walking along the side of a river. He picked a posy of flowers, but because of the weight of his armour he fell into the river. As he was drowning he threw the posy to his loved one and shouted "Forget-me-not".

This is a flower connected with romance and tragic fate. It was often worn by ladies as a sign of faithfulness and enduring love. In 15th-century Germany, it was supposed that the wearers of this flower would not be forgotten by their lovers.

2 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I've always wanted forget-me-nots, and often wondered about the name. What charming stories!! And a beautiful picture, especially with the way the sun is shining on them.

MadSnapper said...

i like all the story's of how they got their names, they are so lovely to look at no one could forget them. in a lot of the historical fiction i used to read, they were mentioned over and over.

Followers

Awards given to DawnTreader's Picture Book



Over-the-Top Award from NPT @ The Nature..., 3 November 2009.
More info at The Island of the Voices.




'Blog of the Week' from Brett @ 365 to 42, 9 November 2009.


From Scriptor Senex @ Rambles From My Chair, 22 November 2009

About Me - DawnTreader

My photo
Västergötland, Sweden
PLEASE NOTE that this blog is no longer being updated, and comments are therefore closed.

Click on the picture to jump over to my "Island of the Voices" blog!

DawnTreader's Picture Book

For this blog, I have chosen a template that allows me to show pictures as big as possible . Some of the things you usually find in the sidebar, you will find here at the bottom of the page instead - Blog Archive, Followers etc.







My camera is a Nikon Coolpix 4600.
For basic editing of most photos and collages I use Picasa 3.
Sometimes I also experiment with some more "artistic" effects in Photoshop Elements or Paint Shop Pro.


YOU WILL ALSO FIND ME HERE:

The Island of the Voices ~♥~ Wordly Efforts ~♥~ Through My Spectrespecs ~♥~ Soaring Through The World

Powered by Blogger.